For outer cover:
Refined flour (maida) – 4 cups
Ghee (Clarified Butter) – 5 tbps + to deep fry Gujiya mould
Salt – ½ tsp
Mawa or khoya (Instant or traditional)- 500 gms
Cashew nuts (blanched & chopped)- 15 nos
Almonds (blanched & chopped)- 15 nos
Raisins – 20 nos
Desiccated coconut – 3 ¼ tsps
Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
Grated nutmeg – a pinch
Sugar – 6 tablespoons (If your sugar has big granules then grind into a powder or use boora)
Ghee or oil – for frying
How to make Gujiya ( Step by step recipe) :
1) First make the stuffing. Heat the mawa in a pan on medium heat.
2) Keep stirring continuously, it will start to melt.
3) Cook till it becomes light brown, turn off the stove. It took me 3-4 minutes.
4) Remove it to a bowl. So it gets cool down faster.
5) Make the dough while mawa is cooling. Mix all purpose flour and salt. Drizzle ghee and rub it into flour using your fingertips. It will be breadcrumb like texture.
6) Start adding little water at a time. Knead into stiff and smooth dough. Cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes.
7) Now mawa is warm to touch. Add sugar, cardamom powder, nutmeg, cashews, almonds and raisins. Please make sure that mawa is warm not hot. If it is hot then sugar will start to melt and stuffing will be runny and paste like consistency.
8) Mix it well. it is better to use your fingertip to break all the lumps and to mix thoroughly.
9) Now start shaping the gujiya. After the resting time of the dough, knead the dough once again and divide it into different equal portions. Roll into a smooth ball and flatten it between your palms.
10) Work with one flatten disc at a time. Roll into a 4 inch diameter circle using rolling pin and rolling board.
11) Put about a tablespoon stuffing in the center.
12) Apply little water around the edges using your finger or you can use brush.
13) Fold it into half circle. Seal the edges by pressing it. If you have gujiya moulds then use that.
14) Make all the gujiya and keep them covered with kitchen towel to prevent it from drying out.
15) When about to finish shaping, heat sufficient ghee in pan on medium heat for frying.
16) Once it is hot enough, then fry few at a time, flip or move in between for even browning.
17) Once it is golden brown and crispy from all sides, use the slotted spoon to remove it.
18) Remove it to paper towel lined plate and let it cool completely before serving. By this cooling time outer layer will becomes nice and crispy.